One of the most popular fitness goal is to obtain rock hard abs – a six pack, if you will – out of a formerly saggy guy. This is a popular goal, however, because it is so challenging. Getting the body you’ve always dreamed of – including the sexy belly – requires diet, exercise, and dedication for both men and women. Information is important too – what is the best way to lose belly fat after all? Here are some ways to set you on this path:
- Assess your situation. BMI (body mass index) is not recommended, as it can often give you faulty results depending on your body type. Instead, focus on more objective measure, like body fat percentage, belly circumference, and other indicators of your health and wellness. You need to know your baseline to begin.
- Find a body fat target. Body fat percentages vary between people and between men and women. In order to get a flat stomach, you will need to lower your body fat percentage to the point where your abs will show through. They are already there, lying in wait, but are currently covered by a layer of fat, so your goal is to lower your total body fat. In the process, you will lose weight, but you need to lose the right type of weight, as losing muscle or water weight will do nothing for you and may even make you look worse.
- The best way to lose belly fat with exercise is to perform ‘fat burning’ cardiovascular activities. There are two main kinds of activities that can help you. The first is high intensity interval training, in which you perform intense exercise for a short period of time, followed by a period of rest, and repeat throughout a shorter (20-30 minute) workout. You can vary the work:rest ratios based on your fitness level, but a minute of work to one, two, three, or even four minutes of rest are potential choices.
- If this kind of exercise is too intense for you, begin with some lighter cardio workouts in the “fat burning zone.” This is the 60-65% zone of your target heart rate. In this area, nearly 50% of the calories burned come from fat. On the other hand, if you are able to handle intense exercise, more vigorous workouts will burn more calories overall. So while you will burn less fat calories as a percentage with intense workouts, you will burn more fat calories overall.
- The best way to lose belly fat fast is through restricting your total calorie intake. Sure, working out will burn calories, but you will also save a lot of calories by lowering your portion sizes and making better decisions about what you eat. To get rid of belly fat you will need to lose a lot of other fat from your body – sorry, not targeting exercises are possible! Thus, you will need to lose a bunch of pounds to decrease your percentage. Luckily, this will make you look great all over, not just in your stomach area!
- Avoid gimmicks like belts, pills, fad diets, and ‘easy’ workout programs. This quest won’t be easy, and there is no magic bullet. In fact, there is never a magic bullet for a truly worthwhile change. Set goals, stick to them, and follow through with well laid plans. That is the essence of the best ways to lose body fat.
More information on how to get flat abs can be found in this site: The Truth about Six Pack Abs