Fish oil is just what it sounds like – oil that comes from the tissues of fish! But what’s the big fuss about this weird sounding substance, anyway? The big fuss is that fish oil is a great component of a healthy diet. Fish oils contain many different compounds, but most notably contain the much heralded omega-3 fatty acids. These compounds reduce inflammation throughout the body, giving you many health benefits. It is a nature made supersubstance that can improve your health in many different ways – and you don’t even need a lot of it every day!
But isn’t oil fatty? And isn’t omega-3 fatty acids…well, fat? Yes, but this just goes to prove that not all fats are created equal – some are actually healthy for you!
One thing to note: not all concentrated fish oils are created equal. Though it’s a natural product, it still goes through some manufacturing stages in order for it to be fit for human consumption. Thus, you want to go for the best fish oil you can buy – high potency material that will not have any nasty side effects. Don’t go for the cheap stuff! For instance, the oil of some fish is also riddled with toxins, so you’ll want to have FDA rated fish oil. You may want to do your research and find reviews before committing to one product.
In addition, you can get these fish oil supplements in many different forms. From capsules and pills, tables and softgels, and even in liquid form, fish oil can be obtained in whatever variety that fits best into your lifestyle and tastes. And don’t worry – they are all pretty much the same, so the benefits of fish oil pills will be the same as those for capsules and other forms.
Anyway, what are these benefits of fish oil? Read on for fourteen of the many ways incorporating fish oil can improve the quality (and quantity!) of your life.
- As stated above, fish oil is anti-inflammatory, so it will reduce inflammation wherever it appears in the body. This will then help those who have joint issues, for example, as much of the pain and discomfort associated with this is due to the increased inflammation in the body. This can help reduce pain and discomfort throughout the body.
- Another popular benefit is fish oil’s weight loss properties. If you are looking to burn fat, you may be wondering how eating fat will help. While all the reasons are still unknown, scientists do know that the fish oil prevents the formation some of the new fat cells in the body. In addition, if you are working out heavily, such as by lifting weights, the fish oil will help reduce the severity of post-workout soreness.
- Fish oil can actually slow the growth of tumors, most notably breast cancer tumors. In addition, fish oil can reduce the chances of developing colon and prostate cancer as well.
- Fish oil can also make your skin look great by keeping it hydrated and lowering the formation of acne and wrinkles.
- Fish oil will have amazing effects on your cardiovascular health. For instance, it lowers your cholesterol and triglyceride counts. This can help prevent cardiovascular issues such as blockages and and heart disease. You’ll thus have a lower chance for a deadly or debilitating heart attack or stroke.
- Certain digestive diseases may be treated by fish oil. Those suffering from Crohn’s disease and colitis may see some relief from this product.
- Some have even suggested the benefits of fish oil for those suffering from HIV and AIDS!
- If you have ulcers, fish oil may help reduce inflammation and increase your immunity. In fact, your immune system in general will get a boost from these products.
- Other people in your family will also benefit from the substance. Fish oil is safe for kids, and it’s also very healthy and safe for your dogs too! So don’t hold back with the fish oil for all. Obviously, this assumes you are using pure, high quality fish oil – don’t skimp, here!
- Fish oil also has mental health benefits – it can improve your mood and even help treat depression. It works by aiding the transmission of serotonin through the body; when this hormone is low, depression may result. Even those with serious mental health issues, such as bipolar disorder, may see some benefits from this substance. And the side effects of fish oil will of course be much more mild than the effects of nasty pharmaceutical drugs! Some studies have also suggested that fish oil can prevent the incidence of schizophrenia.
- Fish oil may help improve vision as well.
- Indeed, the substance may even help those with Alzheimer’s, and it can help prevent the occurrence of this terrible malady. Thus, fish oil is great for improving and protecting brain function. For instance, pregnant mothers who take fish oil regularly may help the developing intelligence and brain of their unborn children.
- For those who are more grown up, the benefits of fish oil for their brain function are not to be outdone – for instance, your focus may increase when taking this substance. Kids who are having trouble with ADD or ADHD may thus benefit from this substance as well.
- Don’t forget that there are many other oils, such as flaxseed oil, that may provide similar and other benefits, so make sure to eat your supplements, take your vitamins, and eat a balanced diet.
These are just a sampling of the many benefits of this product. In short, fish oil truly is as close to a “miracle” as you can get in the health field. Make sure to take the right dosage and enjoy!