Losing weight has the reputation of being hard work. True, losing weight and keeping it off is not easy to do, but this doesn’t mean it has to be painful or total drudgery. In fact, there are some fun ways to lose weight that will keep your motivation high while also helping you to effectively reach your goals. Some of these methods involve weight loss, while others involve a proper diet – both are necessary to lose weight and make wholesale lifestyle changes. Here are some ideas:
- Instead of burning away hours and calories on a treadmill or elliptical, why don’t you join a sport or do some other fun physical activity? Having a goal in mind, especially a literal goal like in hockey, basketball, or soccer, can make you forget you’re exercising. You’ll bond with your friends, lose weight, develop skills, and have fun all at the same time. What’s not to like?
- Make losing weight a contest with family and friends who also want to meet the goal. Name it “Weight Loss Olympics” or whatever you want. Keep track of everyone’s starting and finishing weights, and the person who loses the most weight (or, the most weight as a percentage of their original weight), wins some prize. The prize can be whatever you want it to be. Food probably isn’t a good idea, but if everyone puts $20 in a pot, and the winner takes all (or some other prize structure), this will keep everyone motivated to their goal. Best of all, regardless of who “wins,” everyone wins.
- Play with children. Kids have near infinite energy, and they can give even the most in-shape adult a run for their money. Play tag, hide and seek, manhunt, or whatever game that will give you some great exercise while having fun with your kids (or others’ children).
- Walk around a mall for a few hours. You’ll get good exercise, get to hang out with people, and maybe even buy a thing or two. Just make sure you don’t buy any of that unhealthy mall food.
- One of the most fun ways to lose weight is to incorporate exercise into your daily activities. For instance, if you have to do chores around the house, resolve to complete them at the fastest pace you can. You’ll save time, make chores less boring, and make weight loss fun, all at the same time.
- Keep track of your food/exercise changes and your weight loss progress. Keep a log, perhaps with charts and graphs, to keep track of your successes. There are many apps and programs out there that can keep track of goals, and even award you “experience points” and “loot” when you complete your daily tasks, whether they are weight loss related or not. For example, check out Level Me Up! and EpicWin for the iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Eat more of less. Instead of eating two or three big meals, eat five to six small meals scattered throughout the day. You will feel like you’re constantly eating and will never feel hungry, keeping you well motivated to reach your goals.
- In general, make your weight loss attempt into a game or competition. Whatever you can do to distract yourself from what you’re doing to keep you going will have positive benefits for your health outcomes.