Desperate times call for desperate measure – so the saying goes. If you need money now for some urgent bills or debt, you may be ready and willing to do almost anything to get the money you need. Being broke and in need of money is not fun – but luckily, hope is not lost. With the rise of the Internet, it’s possible to make money faster than ever. In addition, you have all the traditional options available to you in the offline world as long as you know where to look.
To help you meet your financial obligations, here are twenty ways to (legally) get cash quick. All you need is hard work, perseverance, and willingness to take risks or take on debt – or all of the above with some of these ideas:
- Have a time frame in mind. You may be saying, “I need money desperately,” but how desperately? Do you need it by today? In a week? In a month? An unknown length? You need to be clear on how much time you have, as this will determine the options available to you. The rest of the ways will be in ‘time order’ – the ways in the beginning of this list will be along the longest time frame, and the ways at the end of the list will be ideas for you to get some money right now.
- Start a part-time business. You probably will need to work a full-time job at this point, so you’ll need to start something that you can pursue in your off-time. One great idea is to make an online business – you can either sell products, services, or information.
- There are many quick ways to make money online that require few skills and experience – you can start them today and make cash that gets deposited into your Paypal or bank account. Of course, the key is education: you need to know the opportunities that are out there in order for you to even stand a chance. There are plenty of guides out there that are really good as an introduction.
- Do surveys and opinion polls online. You can get paid cash or prizes for your help. There are also ways to get free products and other prizes – for instance, here’s a way to get a $1000 Visa gift card (details apply).
- Start an online business where you sell arts and crafts. Sites like Etsy let you make money online by selling crafts that you make at home.
- Start an online business for freelance writing or web design. There are plenty of people out there who need content for their sites, or need a great site to start, so if you know how to do either of these, you’ll make some good money quickly. Simply have them deposit your payment into a Paypal account, transfer it to your bank account, and voila! More money fast.
- Finally, start an online business where you ‘sell’ information. The best way to do this is start a website or blog and monetize it with Google Adsense. You’ll need to pick a niche that you’re interested in and that has people willing to spend money and click ads. You should spend time learning about search engine optimization and how to use simple publishing programs like WordPress. This may take some time to get off the ground, but once it gets going you can create a good residual online income that will last for months and years to come.
- If you need free money ASAP, but still have some time to burn, look around you – you probably have items that you can sell online. Big items, like cars and fancy electronics like TVs, are best sold on sites like Craigslist. This is so you can deal locally and don’t have to get involved with crazy shipping charges. Smaller items, however, can be marketed on sites like Ebay and Amazon. You can easily and cheaply send these products out long distances, so you’ll be able to command hire prices for your goods than if you were limited to your local area.
- Have a garage sale if you have a ton of large items to sell – you’ll be more likely to sell them with less effort than if you posted them all on Craigslist individually.
- Do odd jobs for people around the neighborhood. You can mow lawns, walk dogs, babysit, or anything else that people will pay you to do. Obviously, you’ll have to swallow your pride a bit, but this is a good way to make extra money quickly.
- Look for jobs on job postings like Craigslist. You might find one-off jobs that will earn you quick cash for the day. Obviously, this option is more viable for you if you don’t work full-time, but consider the possibility of weekend work as well.
- Rent out something, either a part of your house, a car, a bike, your computer – whatever anyone is willing to pay you to use for a short period of time. Make sure before you put up the “for rent” sign that all your legal and financial bases are covered with any of these rental plans.
- Borrow money from friends and family. It may be hard to ask for help in this way, but what are the alternatives? Make sure to pay interest, so as to make it feel like a real ‘loan,’ and to protect the creditor. In addition, write it up all official so all parties understand the terms of the agreement. Once this is all cleared away, this is a great way to get money for a low interest rate.
- If this isn’t available to you, try to go the normal route for loans. Many banks will loan you small sums as long as your credit is good and you have a good reason.
- You can also apply for a credit card to open up another line of credit. As always, be careful when taking on more debt, especially if this is the financial problem you’re dealing with right now and the reason you need money badly.
- Try microloans online. These are sites that let other people loan you money for decent rates. You have to justify why you need the money, else others won’t give you the cash, but it’s a great way to get small loans for short-term projects and problems.
- Look for government programs or other organizations that help people, especially if you are in extreme need. You might be surprised by the generosity of strangers! Of course, make sure that your needs are legitimate, and not trivial, before going this route.
- Sell gold and other precious metals at gold liquidation stores. You can also sell jewelry and other precious items at pawn shops and jewelry stores. Shop around a bit to get the best deal you can, and watch out for scams.
- Return cans and bottles – sure, you may not get much money for them, but you can acquire a decent sum for your time just by cashing in on the return deposit.
- If you are really desperate, and need money urgently (such as the same day), your last resort is a payday loan. Tread carefully – these loans are incredibly expensive over the long term. Avoid them if you possibly can. But if you’re in a jam, this is an option available. Still, do your research to find the most reputable and fair company you can. Please don’t skip on this part – otherwise you could see yourself paying back MORE than the value of the loan in interest payments!
Tags: make money, personal finance