Over time, teeth begin to lose thair natural white color. Bad habits, bad food and drink, and simple age can all conspire to mar your otherwise pearly whites. Recently, teeth whitening has gained in popularity as people have artificially reversed this process.
If you want to whiten your teeth, you probably know the standard options: go to the dentist and get the work done professionally, or use nasty home products that are no fun to work with, especially if you have sensitive teeth. If you are tired of these two options, or if you don’t have the budget for them, never fear – here are twelve natural ways to whiten teeth that won’t harm your smile nor lighten your wallet.
Note that you can apply these ways to a single tooth or to all your teeth, depending on your particular needs.
- You need to know what kind of stains your dealing with. Stains on the surface of the tooth – extrinsic stains – are caused by foods, drinks, and other factors. Since these are usually confined to the surface, they can usually be removed with the constant application of a natural way to whiten teeth. However, intrinsic stains – those that stem from medical issues – may not repond to this treatment. They will need professional help from a dentist, who may use techniques like laser teeth whitening.
- Probably the best way to whiten teeth naturally is to simply brush and floss regularly. Use toothpaste that claims to ‘whiten’ the teeth and brush at least once in the morning and once in the evening. Floss during these times as well. By doing this, you’ll set a nice foundation for oral health, one that will help bring out the natural white color of your teeth. Easy!
- Take some baking soda and brush it into your teeth. Rinse it off. The baking soda will help remove stains from coffee, tea, red wine, and aging that make your teeth every color in the rainbow except for white. This is like what you get at the dentist’s office, but if you know how to apply it yourself, you can get this treatment any time.
- Mix a little hydrogen peroxide with equal parts water and rinse with it. Do this at least once a day. This powerful chemical will help whiten your teeth while also killing bacteria that are the cause of many dental health issues. You can also try mixing in a little Listerine to improve the taste and kill more bacteria.
- How about the best of both worlds – mix both peroxide and baking soda to form a toothpaste. Only use this once in a while, though – it’s so powerful that it can remove both stains and tooth enamel fast. Keep it as the ‘big gun’ in your teeth whitenting arsenal.
- Try mixing lemon juice and baking soda. Also use this one only rarely, as the acidity of the lemon juice can hurt your teeth if applied too often.
- Combine a strawberry and baking soda to form a very fruity toothpaste. Apply it to your teeth, let it sit for a few minutes, and then brush your teeth, removing all traces of the berry.
- Some foods can also help you keep your teeth whitened. For instance, eating an apple after a meal is a great way to cleanse your teeth if you don’t have the chance to immediately brush.
- There is also plenty of tooth whitening gum products out there that claim to help whiten teeth. Whether or not these actually work isn’t clear, but it can’t hurt to chew a piece or two after you eat a meal if you can’t brush.
- Make lifestyle changes. If there are any things you do regularly – like drink coffee or smoke – that contribute to the stains, try to avoid them as much as possible. In addition, eat a healthy diet with fruits and vegetables to give your body and teeth the nutrients they need to be as healthy as can be.
- Before trying any of these methods, do your research to find the risks and benefits of each. For some, leaving them on too long or applying them incorrectly can cause serious and long term damage to your teeth. Always check with a dentist or other professional before attempting these ways.
- Of course, you could always try those home products like strips and gels that purport to whiten your teeth. Before using any of these products, check with your dentist and find reviews online to make sure the product is both safe and effective.
Acne sucks, there’s no doubt about it. It can damage our face, but more importantly it damages our self-esteem, self-confidence and self-image. There are plenty of ways to allegedly get rid of acne with medicine, antibiotics, and topical cream, but these may not work for some people, and others may experience nasty side effects that force them to discontinue treatment. Unfortunately, many people are not told how to get rid of acne naturally – they are just given a prescription and told to follow the directions. Wouldn’t it be better to have a natural, non-medication option available?
If you are one of these people who has problems with scientific medicine, or if you’d rather tackle this problem without resorting to medication, you’re in luck – there are some natural ways to get rid of acne that will not come with side effects and will overall be healthier for you and your skin. These methods also will often attack the underlying causes of acne production rather than simply attacking the outward symptoms. You’ll probably have to try a bunch of them to get rid of the pimples and blackheads that you hate, but you’ll eventually find something that works for your body chemistry and that ultimately treats the real causes within your individual system. Some of them will be long-term lifestyle changes that will not necessarily work fast, while others will be quick fixes to help you attack the acne problem now. To that end, make sure you combine both strategies to get the full effect. Here are sixteen ways to get rid of acne as well as some natural ways to get rid of acne scars as a bonus:
- Sometimes acne can be caused or made worse by a poor diet. One way to correct this is to eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, seeds, and nuts. This will ensure that your body is getting the nutrients it needs, and it may also help your body fight off acne. Certain vitamins and minerals help promote healthy skin, so you want to have plenty on your side. Plus, as an added bonus you’ll get all the health benefits of eating great, too, potentially helping you lose weight and feel better overall.
- Make sure you are using the right cleansers. One well regarded product is Burts Bees Natural Acne Solutions. Check it out on Amazon right now for a great method to cleanse your acne.
- Get an education. There is plenty of resources out there that can give you the info you need to blow your acne away. Knowledge is power!
- Keep your body hydrated. If your body dries out, it may be more likely to form acnes as dying skin clogs pores. Shoot for 8 to 10 cups of water a day to ensure that your body is adequately hydrated.
- Don’t put your hands on your face. When you touch your face, you transmit dirt and bacteria, which can only add to the problem. If you have to touch your face for some reason, be sure to wash your hands first.
- Natural skin care products may also be helpful, but be careful about using them without thought. Even so-called ‘natural’ products can contain chemicals that interact negatively with your skin chemistry. By all means, experiment with different products to see if any of them can help, but don’t buy into the hype of some of these products. Two products that you could try are Tea tree oil and neem soap. Both of these will treat acne and help heal damage from previous breakouts.
- Try some natural supplements to help invigorate your body with natural compounds that will improve your health. Some kinds of supplements that you could try include Manuka honey and maca.
- Wash your face. Do this at least twice a day, but not more than three or four. Use warm water, a mild cleanser or natural product, and a soft washcloth. Don’t wash or rub too vigorously, as you don’t want to totally strip the face of its natural oils. If you totally remove all the natural oils, the skin will overproduce them in order to compensate, and this can lead to even worse breakouts. Thus, do this just to remove dirt, oils, and bacteria that accumulate naturally throughout the day.
- Get plenty of exercise. Exercise is a panacea, or a cure-all, as you’ll see countless health benefits from doing it regularly. One of these benefits could be a natural way to get rid of acne. Sweating during exercise, for example, will help purge your pores of oil, bacteria, and grime, thus lowering your chances for a breakout. Note, however, that certain exercises may make acne worse or appear in different places. For example, heavy weight lifting in men, associated with increases in hormones like testosterone, may cause breakouts on the upper body. This is no excuse not to exercise, but rather just something to look out for.
- Lower your stress. Stress has been noted as a major cause of acne – it’s no coincidence that many teenagers and young adults break out during these times due to the stress increase in their lives. There are many ways to limit your stress, including relaxation and meditation techniques, getting enough sleep, and exercise.
- Be careful with tight fitting clothing or accessories. The constant contact between these items and your skin could promote acne breakouts. This is especially important when you are working out – wear loose fitting clothing when possible.
- Make sure you shower daily, especially after workouts. You want to get rid of the oils and dirt that your body accumulates through the day. Make sure to use natural skin care products as well, because regular soaps and cleansers may clog your pores more and lead to worse breakouts.
- Limit your consumption of sugars, fats, and oils, as these may all be connected to acne in many people. Caffeine also has been linked to acne, so limit your consumption of that compound as much as you can.
- Go outside and get fresh air and sun! If you stay inside all the time, you probably aren’t getting the natural light that your body craves. Always wear sunscreen, of course!
- Go swimming, either in a pool or salty ocean. Both of these will help cleanse your skin and your pores. Be careful, though, if your skin is sensitive to chemicals like chlorine.
- If you are looking for how to get rid of acne scars naturally, here are some ideas. There are many products you can apply to your face to help remove scars and tighten your skin, including lemon juice, honey, rosehip seed oil, and aloe vera. Microdermabrasion can also help, though this is not exactly natural, it is still natural enough to keep your skin looking great. I also recommend this e-book for more information on how to “erase” your acne scars.